Mad for Plaid

Here in New Hampshire - and not, I should mention, alone on the East Coast we are snuggled in for yet another very snowy day. I think that we probably have at least two feet of  white powder hovering on the tree branches, clustered on the screens and windows and making our fireplace seem like a very comfortable spot indeed. It is that comfortable, cozy thought that I want to return to - such a good day for it. I know that you all enjoyed the cabin scenes last week from Genessee River . Steve does such an incredible job on his beds and other cabin delights that his space is always visual candy. With that treat in mind, I was in the Ralph Lauren Boston showroom this past week and casually picked up and fell for a book about tartans...Romancing the Plaid  by Rizzoli. Here are some tartan fashion pictures:

                                          From the Vivienne Westwood Collection

                                                      St. Laurent collection.

                                          Kate Moss in Vivienne Westwood -

                                               Linda Evangelista in Westwood

                               Sara Jessica Parker and Alexander McQueen in McQueen tartan.

Of course the mad for plaid doesn't stop on the runway and is perfect for any cabin decor as evidenced here. here there are some pictures of plaids used in houses.




I don't know about you but I am into a new craze now and I guess it would be mad for plaid at the very least. I love the way it implies history, comfort and at the same time,a sense of verve. It is marvelous combined with checks, feathers and leopard. (Of course, leopard goes anywhere, anytime to me -another story.) I think that we all need to add a tiny touch of this to our lives. In the sidebar I have shown some examples of tartan ware which was a Victorian rage and is a very easy way to add a bit of the tartan into very simple household items such as books, ribbon, napkin rings - a bit of  cheer as it were. -C

No comments:

Post a Comment