Holidays!

Just open the door to a flower market and the smell lifts your mood before the visuals begin to sweep away all other thoughts. My mind immediately begins its scheming and before I know it, holiday decoration snaps into place. Last week, mid - November, was a bit early to begin for Christmas but not a bit too soon to preview.

I think that simple decorations work the best for most of us. I have a somewhat monochromatic home so I tend to turn towards groupings of a single color and to use an apple green as my pop of color. I was eyeing myrtle topiaries, amarlysis in clay pots, green berries and white tulips. If I can find blooming narcissis, all the better. Now I need to plan what to do with these findings.


Carolyne Roehm


unknown source

What could be more elegant than a garland of white roses casually draped over a mantle? I am sure the smell of this is marvelous!


Here is a simple, fragrant and lasting way to enjoy and prolong the holidays with window sills filled with narcissus. The red toned wreaths are pretty but so would be boxwood or fir.


All of the flowers in this room are white. I think that the contrast between the tulips and the pines cones is interesting. This is another nod in the direction of using all one color and keeping things somewhat simple.


Okay - so not so simple but not so hard to do. I would also like to see this with cranberries and just greens and roses, tulips, carnations in white. A few fir springs would also add impact and seasonal color.


Another monochromatic table top stunner. This could also be made with some of those very realistic fake pears to last longer if you are pressed for time. 

To create your own ideas, visit your local farmers markets, florists and greenhouses to develop arrangements which work for your, your budget and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment